Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Surviving the Blizzard of 2011

Surviving is the key word there because its still not over! For the first time since 1999 CPS (Chicago Public Schools) cancelled school today... wahoo! I have no idea how I was going to get there.... train it I guess, but that would have been AWFUL. My school let us know first thing yesterday morning that school would be cancelled today, so planning ahead I brought home with me some extra grading to keep me occupied.
Last night they let us leave a little early, 3:00. So I headed out right away on my usual path of Lake Shore Drive. Things were going pretty well until I got to the Field Museum, then it slowed down quite a bit. We crawled the entire way, until I got right around the two sharp curves (my exit is about 1/4 of mile from there) and then it was a STAND STILL. At this point I had been in the car for a little over 2 hours. I finally made it into the exit lane and it was slow. It took me about an hour and a half to get from those sharp curves to home. Alex was watching the news and communicating to me what was going on. Basically, cars couldn't make it up a hill on LSD and were sliding backward, causing the stand still. I finally made it home after a 3 1/2 hour drive. (Usually it takes me 30 min.) About an hour after I got home they officially closed down LSD. I am sooooooo thankful they let us leave at 3:00, if it would have been our usual time of 4:00, I would have slept in my car on the road. The road still isn't open and they are towing all of the cars that were stranded last night.
However, my wonderful hubby was preparing for this. He called me just as I was exiting and said he was getting ready to pack a bag (food, blankets, etc) so he could walk and meet up with me as I was stranded on the road, he knew I wouldn't want to leave my car. haha Awwww! Luckily, it didn't get to that. It continued to snow all night, and this is what we woke up to this morning.

I think we might be here for a while.

My car is 2nd front the right in the first row.

In other news.... we went back a few times this month for exciting events. First was Rox and Baby Nora's shower. Below are some pictures of that.

Lindsey and her baby Adeline. Poor Adeline was not feeling so well this day and tuckered out on mom. :) How precious!
Mama Rox!

The Standeford's first baby... Jersey. She is such a good pup!


We made it back the week after the shower for the Purdue vs. Michigan State game with two of our friends from Chicago that went to State.
Way to make us proud Boilers!


And.... before all of our hopes and dreams were crushed the view of a more pleasant drive down Lake Shore.


The next round of snow has just begun. I hope everyone is staying warm and inside out there. Alex made the trip to work late this morning, but he had a fairly easy commute since the trains are running pretty good today. Hopefully, he takes off early this afternoon.
February sure knows how to make an entrance!

2 comments:

Standeford Stories said...

Aww. Jersey Girl made the blog! She will be excited when I tell her LOL :) I saw on the news lots of people trying hard to stand up in all the wind up there. Glad you guys are doing alright!

Jackie said...

Thanks- it wasn't easy for me! haha I hope Jersey is excited! Can't wait to see you guys again.... maybe with an addition to the family! Hope you are all doing well with the ice down there.