Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pablo

I realized a while ago I've never done a post about our one and only pet, Pablo. For those of you who have ever visited us in Chicago or ever visited one of Alex's apartments/ houses while in college- you know Pablo. If not, he's our bearded dragon of 9 years. I meant to post about him a long time ago, but forgot- sorry about that Pab!
Anyways, Pablo has been with Alex for nine years now- since Alex was a senior in high school. When he first got him he was about 5 inches (head to tail) long. Now, I'd say he's about 15 or so inches long.
This is basically what Pablo does on a daily basis.... lay around on his rock or log, eat lettuce, and poop all over his cage. Alex really hates it when he does that on his rock- not as easy to clean. On occasion, we'll get him crickets. But, we don't live near a Petsmart or anything like that, so his diet is mainly lettuce.
Every once in a while we will get him out of his cage, but not too often- he's pretty skittish.
He does shed his skin a few times a year, and this is probably the most active (other than chasing crickets) you will see Pablo. I think it itches him, so he kind of goes crazy- scratching at his cage non-stop.
As the weather gets cooler, he does some sort of a hibernation. He never did this until Alex changed the rocks in his cage to sand. I think the cool sand makes his natural instincts kick in. But, I'm not an expert- its just a guess.
However, one interesting fact about bearded dragons- they are attracted to the color yellow. Specifically neon yellow, like in hi-liters. If you hold a yellow hi-liter to his cage he will follow it around- its awesome!
On the first day of school this year (teacher meetings) we had to introduce ourselves and say an interesting fact about ourselves as well... well I don't think I have too many interesting facts, so I decided to share that my husband and I have a pet bearded dragon. It got a good laugh... :)
Here are some pictures of our beloved pet...
You know.... just hanging around.


He looks intimidating... don't let it fool you!

2 comments:

Standeford Stories said...

LOL, Pablo! Yo quiere taco bell? No quiero crickets!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie - I need your email address, can you send it my way? Thanks!

smith dot laura 10 at gmail dot com